Premier League set to restart with Arsenal on 17 June

Manchester City versus Arsenal will be one of two games to restart the 2019-20 Premier League season on Wednesday 17 June 2020.

A statement on the Premier League’s website confirmed the news, subject to government approvals and┬áprovided all safety requirements are in place.

The 20 clubs and league officials agreed to contact training earlier this week as phase two of Project Restart. Players have been back in training for just over a week now as the Premier League look to follow in the footsteps of Germany, who have had three rounds of games in their top two divisions since restarting their season on 16 May.

German clubs were back in training for five weeks before they restarted their league so the date announced today doesn’t come as a big surprise.

The reason we will be restarting the season is because we are one of four teams who have a game in hand, with the other fixture being Aston Villa versus Sheffield United – both games originally postponed due the 2020 EFL Cup final.

From Friday 19 June there will be a full round of fixtures, where we will face Brighton & Hove Albion on the Saturday or Sunday at the AMEX Stadium. The Premier League have yet to confirm the dates for any of the weekend games as of yet.

Arsenal sit ninth in the table with 10 games to play – eight points behind Chelsea in fourth.