Arteta had this to say about Pablo Mari after West Ham win

Arsenal came away with a narrow 1-0 victory over West Ham United at the Emirates on Saturday afternoon.

Substitute Alexandre Lacazette popped up with the winner with 12 minutes remaining after an unselfish header from Mesut Ozil laid the ball on a plate for the striker.

The Hammers will be wondering how they did not take the lead in the first half as Jarrod Bowen struck the post, Sebastian Haller’s poor first touch denied him a one-on-one and Michail Antonio somehow missed from two yards.

Victory moves us to within five points of Chelsea in fourth prior to their game with Everton at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

Speaking after today’s game, Mikel Arteta was asked whether Pablo Mari will be given the chance to face Manchester City on Wednesday night. The Spaniard made his Premier League debut against West Ham, after making his club debut in the 2-0 win away to Portsmouth in the FA Cup on Monday. Two games, two clean sheets!

Arteta told the club’s official website:

“Good point, I have to take your advice there! If it is as simple as that, hopefully we do it again at Manchester City and see if we get a clean sheet! He is doing well, he’s adapted really well – it is not an easy league and a central defender, in my opinion, to play in the Premier League is one of the toughest positions to play for any foreign player. But he is very willing, he is learning and he has a good experience and understanding with his team-mates.”

Pablo Mari joined us over the summer following a year in Brazil with Flamengo. Prior to that, the 26-year-old had been on the books at Manchester City for three years, without making a single senior appearance.

The centre-back made a name for himself in the Spanish lower leagues with Gimnastic as a youngster before joining the Citizens in 2016.