Early injury update on Lucas Torreira

Lucas Torreira was stretchered off in the opening 15 minutes of our FA Cup tie away to Portsmouth this evening.

The Uruguayan was down in discomfort for several minutes following a strong sliding tackle from Pompey defender James Bolton. In defence of the League One player, he did win the ball first.

Medics were clearly focusing on the midfielder’s ankle before putting him on a stretcher and taking him off.

Minutes later, BT Sport commentator Ian Darke reported that Torreira has not been taken to hospital. This comes as positive news as it initially looked as though it could be very serious for the 24-year-old.

Dani Ceballos replaced Torreira in a more attacking move from Mikel Arteta after 16 minutes, with the score at 0-0.

This evening’s FA Cup fifth round tie will be settled at Fratton Park – a penalty shootout will take place if we cannot get the job done inside the 90 minutes. We are next in action at home to West Ham United in the Premier League on Saturday.