Arteta gives injury update on Torreira

Arsenal proved to be comfortable winners versus Portsmouth in the FA Cup fifth round at Fratton Park on Monday night.

Goals from Sokratis and Eddie Nketiah in each half gave us a 2-0 win over the League One side and put us in Wednesday night’s quarter-final draw.

However, there was one low point to come out of this evening’s game as Lucas Torreira was stretchered off after only 15 minutes. The Uruguayan went down following a strong slide tackle and remained down for several minutes with an apparent ankle injury.

Torreira has been in and out of the first team this season with Mikel Arteta and Unai Emery previously preferred Granit Xhaka and Matteo Guendouzi. The 24-year-old’s opportunity to impress himself on the south coast was cut short.

Arsenal manager Arteta gave an update on Torreira’s condition in his post-match interview. The Spaniard said:

“He was in a lot of pain.

“He is in a brace at the moment, he will be assessed in the next few days and we will know more then.

“I don’t know if it’s the bone or ligaments, we don’t know yet.”

Arsenal are back in action on Saturday when we host West Ham United in the Premier League. It looks certain as though Lucas Torreira will not be apart of the game in which we need all three points to keep our slim hopes of a top four finish alive.