Arsenal knocked out of Europe

Arsenal have been knocked out of this season’s UEFA Europa League in the Second Round at the hands of Greek giants Olympiacos.

We were 1-0 winners in the first leg in Athens last Thursday, but were beaten 2-1 at home after extra-time this evening.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang missed a sitter with the final kick of the game as we were eliminated on away goals.

After a dull first half, tall centre-back Pape Abou Cisse was left free to head home a corner early in the second half. Olympiacos had offered very little threat to Bernd Leno’s goal in open play to this point.

We had a lot of possession and territory throughout the game but every attack seemed to slow down in the final third, despite the likes of Aubameyang, Mesut Ozil, Alexandre Lacazette, Nicolas Pepe and Dani Ceballos all being on the pitch.

Mikel Arteta introduced Gabriel Martinelli at half-time extra-time with an almost immediate impact. The teenager forward flicked on a cross for which Aubameyang scored a stunning scissor kick to equalise on the night and give us a 2-1 aggregate lead with seven minutes to go.

Unfortunately, our defence were poor at the back once again as Youssef El Arabi found a gap in the middle before poking home with a minute to go. Sokratis had replaced an injury Shkodran Mustafi at this point.

There was still time for the ball to break inside the six-yard box to our captain but somehow Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang managed to slide the chance to put us in the last 16, wide.

We’re back in action on Monday night when we travel to Portsmouth in the FA Cup fifth round; the last chance for silverware this season.