Arteta gives injury update on Mustafi

Arsenal safely booked our passage into the fifth round of this season’s FA Cup with a comfortable 2-1 win away to Bournemouth on Monday night.

Bukayo Saka opened the scoring inside the fifth minute with a powerful effort into the roof of Mark Travers’ net. The 18-year-old was starting at left-back once again due to a number of injuries in our defence. However, Saka was playing more like a winger in the first half and provided the cross from which Eddie Nketiah swept us into a 2-0 lead inside the opening half hour.

Nketiah, recently recalled from a loan spell at Leeds United, was making his first start for us since the FA Cup third round last season.

Victory sets up a tie with 2008 winners and League One side Portsmouth in the next round with the tie to take place the first week of March.

However, the result did not come without casualty. Centre-back Shkodran Mustafi collided with goalkeeper Emi Martinez on the hour and was stretchered off. Speaking after the game, Mikel Arteta gave an update on the German’s condition to the club’s official website:

“They’re going to assess him between today and tomorrow but when a player has to come off, normally with a central defender – hopefully I am wrong but – normally it’s not good news.”

Rob Holding replaced the 2014 World Cup winner to partner Sokratis as David Luiz was serving his suspension.

Arsenal Banter will bring you any further updates on Mustafi’s condition once we have them.