Manager confirms Xhaka doesn’t want to face Leicester

Arsenal midfielder Granit Xhaka has been in the news in recent weeks after a verbal confrontation when storming off the pitch in our 2-2 draw at home to Crystal Palace on Sunday 27 October.

The Switzerland international has not featured in any of our three matches since.

Unai Emery has confirmed that Xhaka doesn’t feel he is ready to return to the squad and therefore will not feature in our trip to Leicester City on Saturday evening. Given his performances so far this season, that’s probably a good thing for us.

The 27-year-old has since been stripped of the captain’s armband, and now the manager has suggested that Xhaka has made himself unavailable for selection for our trip to the King Power Stadium this weekend.

With his performances this season and the fans hate for the player, it wouldn’t surprise me if Granit Xhaka never plays for the club again. And if the rumours are true that he is the one making himself unavailable for games, then hopefully his wages are being withheld.

Dani Ceballos joins Xhaka as another central midfielder unavailable to Emery for Saturday’s game as the Spaniard is out with a hamstring injury. This leaves the boss a little short in the middle of the park. Matteo Guendouzi and Lucas Torreira should partner up in front of the back four, and Mesut Ozil may even get another start in front of them.

Here is what Unai Emery told reporters regarding the Granit Xhaka situation, at his press conference this afternoon, according to Football.London:

(Will Xhaka feature?) “Not yet. I spoke with him on Tuesday for how he is feeling now and his mind because he is training well but he said to me he can’t play. We are going to wait.”

Our performances have been woeful in recent weeks but we really cannot afford to lose to Leicester City, who are six points ahead of us in the race for Champions League football next season.