Player Ratings: Vitoria 1-1 Arsenal

Arsenal put in another terrible performance over in Portugal this evening as we were held to a 1-1 draw by Vitoria SC in the Europa League this afternoon.

It is the fourth successive game in all competitions that we have thrown away the lead to end up drawing. We dominated possession but created very few chances, with Nicolas Pepe, Gabriel Martinelli and Bukayo Saka all starting.

We were headed for our fourth win in as many group stage games when Shkodran Mustafi headed home Nicolas Pepe’s free kick 10 minutes from time to give us a 1-0 lead. However, poor defending at the end saw Bruno Duarte equalise with a spectacular overhead kick in the first minute of stoppage time.

Here are my ratings from Vitoria SC 1-1 Arsenal:

Emi Martinez 6 – Our goalkeeper made a couple of decent saves in the first half when Vitoria peppered our goal with shots, but Emi Martinez could have done better to stop the cross for the home side’s equaliser.

Shkodran Mustafi 6 – Headed us in front but almost scored an own goal in the final minute when he clipped his own post. Shaky performances in the back three from Shkodran Mustafi.

Rob Holding 5 – Another disappointing performance from Rob Holding. He didn’t look comfortable playing in a back three, particularly on the left-hand side of it. At fault for their goal as he failed to stop the cross coming in.

Sokratis 5 – Poor positioning on several occasions from the experienced centre-back. Cannot afford to do this up against Jamie Vardy at Leicester City on Saturday.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles 5 – Offered nothing going forward from right wingback. Ainsley Maitland-Niles’ passing was all over the place today.

Dani Ceballos 5 – Failed to have any influence on the game and created nothing. Limped off with an apparent hamstring injury in the second half.

Joe Willock 5 – Played a more defensive role than he is used to in central midfield. Joe Willock and Dani Ceballos were overrun by the Vitoria midfield in the first half.

Kieran Tierney 7 – Produced a couple of excellent crosses and showed plenty of energy getting up and down the left flank.

Nicolas Pepe 6 – Delivered a superb free kick to setup our goal but was otherwise it was another frustrating performance from Nicolas Pepe. The Ivorian was never played in on goal or down the wing and did very little in possession.

Gabriel Martinelli 6 – Service wasn’t there for the teenager as Gabriel Martinelli didn’t have his first shot on target until late on.

Bukayo Saka 5 – The youngster got into a good position a couple of times but his final ball was mostly very poor. Missed a great opportunity to put Pepe in one-on-one with the goalkeeper in the first half but managed to play the ball behind his teammate.

Substitutes

Matteo Guendouzi (37 mins) 6 – Brought a bit more energy to the midfield after replacing an injured Ceballos less than 10 minutes into the second half.

Alexandre Lacazette (27 mins) 5 – Barely got a touch of the ball, let alone a shot.

Lucas Torreira (14 mins) N/A – Unai Emery didn’t have much in the way of attacking options on the bench so Lucas Torreira came on at 0-0.