Arsenal squad confirmed for Frankfurt trip

Arsenal start their 2019-20 UEFA Europa League campaign on Thursday in Germany against Eintracht Frankfurt.

Unai Emery has today named his 19-man squad to fly out to Germany during the week.

Surprisingly, Mesut Ozil has been rested for our trip to his homeland despite only making his first appearance of the season on Sunday. I’m not sure what’s up with the 2014 World Cup winner as you’d have expected him to start this one.

The manager has also left Sokratis in north London. Perhaps a result of his howler against Watford over the weekend with a thought of giving a new centre-back pairing a try.

Rob Holding has been called up to the squad having only recently returned to full training after a nine month layoff with a knee injury. It would be nice to see the centre-back get some action but I feel this game will come too early for him, particularly as it’s arguably our toughest in the group.

The boss has actually named quite a strong side for this game, though teenagers Emile Smith Rowe, Buyako Saka and Gabriel Martinelli have all been named in the squad, along with fellow youngsters Joe Willock and Reiss Nelson.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is also travelling with the squad. The Gabon striker may well start because of Alexandre Lacazette’s injury but fans would prefer if the main man stayed at home to be fully focused on a top four Premier League push.

Here is the 19-man Arsenal squad for tomorrow’s game:

Goalkeepers: Bernd Leno, Emiliano Martinez
Defenders: Ainsley Maitland-Niles, Calum Chambers, Shkodran Mustafi, Rob Holding, David Luiz, Sead Kolasinac
Midfielders: Matteo Guendouzi, Lucas Torreira, Joe Willock, Granit Xhaka, Dani Ceballos, Emile Smith Rowe
Forwards: Gabriel Martinelli, Reiss Nelson, Nicolas Pepe, Bukayo Saka, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang