Aubameyang’s goals against Watford set the standard for the season

Arsenal made a great start at Vicarage Road on Sunday as we raced into a 2-0 first-half lead before settling for a point against the Premier League’s bottom side, Watford.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang continued his impressive goalscoring form against the Hornets, with the Arsenal man now having contributed four goals and one assist against the Hornets in four fixtures.

The Gabon international was on target twice on Sunday as we cruised to a 2-0 half-time lead in our fifth Premier League game of the 2019-20 season. Aubameyang gave the Gunners a 21st-minute lead after receiving a pass from Sead Kolasinac before firing past Ben Foster.

He then doubled our lead 11 minutes later after tapping home from Ainsley Maitland-Niles’ cross to put us on course for a third league win. Unfortunately, we let slip after the break and ended up finishing with a disappointing 2-2 draw. The short goal kicks never worked and resulted in Watford’s first goal as Sokratis setup Tom Cleverly inside the penalty area.

David Luiz conceded a penalty from which Roberto Pererya equalised for the hosts. Quique Sanchez’s side looked like the more likely side to find a winner in the final 20 minutes in truth.

Sanchez Flores is back at Watford after being dismissed three years ago. Although many argued that a third consecutive defeat is unthinkable and would put Javi Gracia under unimaginable pressure despite the season remaining in its infancy, that is exactly what happened. The Hornets lost 3-1 to West Ham United before dismissing Gracia. After being bottom of the table following four games, the daunting clash versus Manchester City still awaits. Their point for them against the Gunners this weekend is as big for them as it is disappointing for us.

Although Aubameyang’s goals may have been the highlight of the match, many fans and critics can’t seem to wrap their heads around Sokratis’ fatal mistake. Some Arsenal fans couldn’t believe what they were seeing when the Greek international gifted the ball to Watford, leading to Tom Cleverley’s goal for the Hornets, which inevitably led to the draw.

After Arsenal goalkeeper, Bernd Leno decided to pass the ball to centre-back Solkratis from a goal-kick, the former Borussia Dortmund defender cheaply gave the ball away by passing it directly into the path of Watford ace Gerard Deulofeu. The ball deflected off of Deulofeu and landed lovingly in front of the feet of Cleverly, who could not miss this opportunity and drilled the ball into the back of the net.

Arsenal fans are already looking forward to January in hope that we will actually sign a star centre-back. Here’s hoping anyway…