Pair to undergo medicals as Arsenal could seal double swoop

Today could be a busy day in North London as reports claim Arsenal are closing in moves for Dani Ceballos and William Saliba.

The Gunners have only managed to land Brazilian youngster Gabriel Martinelli so far this summer amid reports that Unai Emery has only been handed a transfer budget of £40 million.

With two weeks left of the English summer transfer window, Real Madrid’s Ceballos has been strongly linked with a move to the Emirates Stadium in recent weeks. Spanish outlet AS claim the playmaker is due to fly into London today to undergo his medical ahead of a one-year loan from the Spanish giants.

The report states that Emery played a key role in persuading Ceballos to join us over Tottenham after promising the player he would be a key part of our plans and will play 40 games this season (provided he stays fit).

It was previously reported that we were keen on securing a permanent deal or an option-to-buy clause next summer for the 22-year-old, but AS insist no such clause has been included in the deal as Madrid still hope the Spanish international’s long-term future will be at the Santiago Bernabeu.

There’s no doubt that Ceballos would be an excellent addition to our squad but it would be a shame if we cannot get any sort of long-term security with an option-to-buy clause or even first option on the player for next summer.

A second player who has been strongly linked with us this summer is St Etienne’s William Saliba and the Daily Mail now claims that the centre-back will have his medical today ahead of a £27 million move to North London.

We’ve been locked in discussions with the Ligue 1 outfit for a number of weeks and we even had to fend off a late enquiry from Tottenham, but an agreement has finally been reached. Saliba is now due to arrive in London to finalise his Premier League move.

As part of the agreement, the 18-year-old will spend this upcoming season back on loan at Saint-Etienne as he needs to develop his game further before joining Arsenal next summer.

The teenager is one of the most highly-rated centre-backs in French football right now so he should be an excellent long-term signing for us.

However, our defence has been woeful for a number of years and we badly need experienced reinforcements for the 2019-20 campaign, especially should Laurent Koscielny manage to force a move back to France.